Scholarships and Student Awards in Entomology
The departmental Awards Committee is pleased to announce that the following scholarships are available to Graduate Students in the Department of Entomology at KSU. The Awards Committee will evaluate the applications and select the award winners in each category. Students are encouraged to apply for the awards for which they are best qualified, and tailor their applications to the specific criteria. Award winners will be required to write a letter expressing appreciation to the sponsor, and submit a copy to the department before the award confirmation is forwarded to the Student Financial Assistance Office. You can see the winners from 2016 by clicking here.
- Students who are properly registered in the Entomology program for Spring 2017.
- In all cases except the Pankaskie Scholarship, students who received an award previously cannot apply for that same award, but may apply for a different award in the current year.
- Applicants may apply for up to two awards in one year if they so choose; however, the committee will strive to distribute the awards among as many qualified students as possible.
- Specific application requirements are outlined on the respective scholarship pages
- Applications should be submitted as a single PDF file of less than 5 MB to the Awards Committee Chair (contact information below)
- Applications and supporting materials should be submitted electronically by 5:00 PM on March 10, 2017, to the Chair of the Awards Committee, Dr. Kristin Michel at email@example.com.
- Applicants are responsible for providing all the application materials on time, including the support letter.
|Award||Category||Award $ (2017)|
|Lambley Family Scholarship in Entomology||Outstanding graduate student in Entomology of either MS or PhD||$800|
|Roger C. Smith for Ph.D.||Significant accomplishment of the student near the completion of PhD program||$1,000|
|Roger C. Smith for M.S.||Significant accomplishment of the student near completion of MS program||$1,000|
|Outstanding student within the first year of their Master's program||$1,200|
|R.H. Painter for Ph.D.||Outstanding student within first three semesters of their doctoral program||$1,000|
|Floyd Holmes for M.S. or Ph.D.||Outstanding student who is focused on applied research to address practical problems||$7,000|
|Fred Clute for M.S. or Ph.D.||Outstanding student with a specific interest or research project in IPM||$3,000|
|Joe Pankaskie for M.S. or Ph.D.||Outstanding student at MS or PhD level; renewable. Available only to citizens of the United States||$3,000|
|Schendel-Mages Entomological Scholarship||Outstanding Undergraduate Minor or graduate student in Entomology. Minimum GPA of 3.0 required||$1,000|
|Sonny and Gita Ramaswamy Scholarship for M.S. or Ph.D.||Outstanding student with strong scholarship (evidenced by grades and professional productivity) and exceptional service to the department, campus, community, and/or profession||NA|
Perry L. Adkisson Three-Minute Thesis Awards
These awards are presented to the top two performers in the MS and PhD categories of the Department of Entomology's Three-Minute Thesis Competition, held each spring during Mudge Week. The awards are named in honor of distinguished K-State Entomology alum Dr. Perry L. Adkisson. You can see last year's winners here, and can learn more about Dr. Adkisson and the Three-Minute Thesis competition here.
Graduate Support Available
The Department of Entomology at Kansas State University is always on the lookout for graduate students to undertake thesis or dissertation research in one of the top graduate entomology programs in the United States. GRAs typically range from $20,000 to $25,000, depending on credentials, and may include partial or complete tuition waiver or compensation. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-532-6154.