El-Bouhssini, MustaphaAssociate Professor, Adjunct M.BOHSSINI@CGIAR.ORG ICARDA home pageArea(s) of Specialization:
Integrated pest management in wheat, barley, chickpea, lentil and fava bean
View My Curriculum Vitae
Dr El Bouhssini’s association with KSU dates back to 1984 when, as an INRA-Morocco staff member, he worked on his Masters degree with Dr J. Hatchett on resistance in wheat to Hessian fly and biotypes. AS a result of his research, the first resistance genes effective against the Hessian fly in Morocco were identified. This became the foundation for subsequent breeding work on Hessian fly in Morocco.
Mustapha's close linkages with KSU faculty members have continued through the years since finishing his MSc in 1986 and PhD in 1992; his dissertation for PhD was also on Hessian fly. Two joint collaborative programs between ICARDA and KSU are underway, one on Hessian fly genetics and the other on resistance in barley to Russian wheat aphid. Dr Ming Chen, USDA-ARS Scientist and Adjunct Assistant Professor in the entomology department at KSU, visited ICARDA in June 2004 when he started joint studies with ICARDA on genes from Hessian fly salivary glands.
As an Adjunct Faculty Member, Dr El Bouhssini and his colleagues at KSU will work together to strengthen the collaboration between ICARDA and KSU.
(taken from ICARDA website: http://www.icarda.org/News/2006/26Jan06/26Jan06_B.htm )
EducationB.S. Techniques in Agronomy, National School of Agriculture, Meknes, Morocco, 1980
M.S. Entomology, Kansas State University, 1986
Ph.D. Entomology, Kansas State University, 1992
- 2004: Regional course on IPM of cereal pests in Tashkent, Uzbekistan
- 2003: Course on IPM of Sunn pest, University of Kabul, Afghanistan
- 1996-present: One course on Integrated Pest Management at ICARDA headquarters every other year
- 1992-1996: Course on host plant resistance to insects at IAV Hassan II, Rabat, Morocco
- 1995: Course on crop adaptation to biotic stresses: case of cereal insects in Morocco for engineers from Syria (Southern Regional Agricultural Development Project), Settat
- 1995: Course on genetic resistance of wheat to Hessian fly and other insects, Med.Campus:"valorisation agronomique et industrielle des céréales Méditerranéennes", Tunis
- 1994: Course on cereal insects for engineers and technicians from West Asia and North Africa region, organized by ICARDA in Aleppo, Syria
- 1992: Course on cereal insects for engineers and technicians from the Maghreb countries, organized by ICARDA in Algeria.
I have advised 10 students at the Masters level, 3 at the Ph.D. level, and trained over 200 scientists and technicians from North Africa, West and Central Asia in the area of IPM.
Research conducted covers the following areas:
Biology of the pests; estimation of yield losses; cultural practices (planting dates); biological control (predators, parasitoids and entomopathogenic fungi); botanical insecticides (Neem, Melia); host plant resistance: (screening of germplasm, mechanisms of resistance and biotypes characterization through differentials and molecular techniques).
For a complete list of my publications, please see my Curriculum Vitae.
El Bouhssini, M., J.H. Hatchett, T.S. Cox and G.E. Wilde. 2001. Genotypic interaction between resistance genes in wheat and virulence genes in the Hessian fly Mayetiola destructor (Himiptera: Cecidomyiidae). Bulletin of Entomological Research 91: 327-331.
El Bouhssini, M. J.H. Hatchett and G.E. Wilde. 1999. Hessian fly (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) larval survival as affected by wheat resistance alleles, temperature and larval denisty. Journal of Agricultural and Urban Entomology 16: 245-254.
El Bouhssini, M. J. H. Hatchett, and G.E. Wilde. 1998. Survival of Hessian fly (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) larvae on wheat cultivars carrying different genes for antibiosis. Journal of Agricultural Entomology 15: 183-193
Lhaloui, S., L. Buschman, M. El Bouhssini, K. Starks, D. Keith and K. El Hossaini. 1992. Control of Mayetiola species (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) with Carbofuran in bread wheat, durum wheat and barley with yield loss assessment and its economic analysis. Al Awamia 77: 55-73
Lhaloui, S., L. Buschman, M. El Bouhssini, A. Amri, J.H. Hatchett, D. Keith, K. Starks, and K. El Houssaini. 1992. Infestations of Mayetiola spp. (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) in bread wheat, durum wheat and barley. Results of the five annual surveys in the major cereal growing regions of Morocco. Al Awamia 77: 21-53