During the spring semester the K-State Department of Entomology takes time to recognize and remember Benjamin Franklin Mudge. Benjamin Franklin Mudge (right) was one of the first faculty to teach at what was then the Kansas State Agricultural College, later Kansas State University, starting in 1865. He taught the first entomology course at Kansas State ("Insects Injurious to Vegetation"), and it was also the first economic entomology course taught anywhere in the United States. He also taught courses in astronomy, physics, meteorology, botany, zoology, physiology, mineralogy, geology, physical geography, agricultural chemistry, among others. He was beloved by students, so it is entirely appropriate that we have a week of student-centered activities named in his honor. To learn more about this remarkable man, read this memorial written two years after his death in 1879.
Mudge Week 2019
Mudge Week 2018
Mudge Week 2017
Mudge Week 2016
Mudge Week 2015
Mudge Week 2014
Mudge Week 2013
2019 Mudge Week Activities and Schedule
| 1 Apr|
- Hopkins Colloquium Speaker: Dr. John Clark (University of Massachusetts):
- •Luncheon with students at 12:30PM - Waters 230
- •Hopkins Seminar will start at 4:00PM (refreshments at 3:45PM) – Waters 231
- Linnaean “Cage Match” –Students VS Faculty
- •The first game will start at 1:30PM in Waters 328
- •Take a break from your normal routine and come watch as our Linnaean team take on our faculty, “Raging” Rob Morrison, Tom “The Terrorizer” Phillips, Kris “Silver Bullet”, and Brian “The Bruiser” Spiesman
| 4 Apr|
- •Brain Break!
- •Meet outside Waters Hall in the Quad at 1:00PM
- •If the weather is nice, we will have a bunch of yard games setup outside of Waters Hall. Come test your skills at Bocce Ball, Beanbag Toss (i.e., cornhole), and more. In case the weather does not cooperate, we will bring the competition indoors (WA126).
- •Is your favorite yard game not listed? Then bring it!
- Departmental Gathering and Awards Ceremony [Leadership Studies Building, Rm#126, starting at 10:00AM]
- •Varsity Donuts, Radina’s Coffee, and juice will be served at 10:00AM to kick off an informal departmental social
• At the Social we will announce:
- Scholarship recipients
- Perry L. Adkisson Three-minute competition winners (MS and PhD)
- Awards of Excellence for Administrative and Technical Support
• The Popenoe Entomology Club will also announce:
- Club MVP (most valuable Popenoe)
- Faculty of the Year
- Phenotype Adornment Contest winners